Thursday, January 22, 2009

It's Been Too Long

Here's a new version of an old taunt:

So what if this was a few weeks ago, when everyone else was complaining of subzero temps? There are some benefits to living in Oklahoma. This is one of them.

Much has happened since my last post, and I'll maybe say some things about most of them soon, but first:

President Barack Hussein Obama!
 
I can't say it enough. And I was worried that this would be just a symbolic switch--that things would just keep going as they had been. But then BHO gets into the Oval Office and starts kicking ass and taking names. First he requests that the prosecutors in Gitmo knock it off, and then he says "Close it down." It seems the rule of law means something to Mr. Obama.

Needless to say, I'm happy.

Also, the new semester has started, and I'm neck-deep in new courses again. The one that's really challenging me this time is Modern Humanities--only because I've never taught such a lecture-intensive course before. Usually it's a free-flowing give-and-take between the students and me. This time it's a give-and-give from me to the students. It will take some getting used to.

I'm also applying to jobs again, because I'm too old to be a part-time employee. The only openings I've found (that would be feasible) are in the Twin Cities area, so I'm throwing my hat back north. Michele encouraged this, so don't worry about that.

Winter break was good, but too long (in a number of ways). It seems like we dragged the cold weather back with us, except for a few days, like today, when it's 71 degrees.

I'll say more when I have some time. I need to get back to work.

No comments: