Thursday, October 2, 2008

Deadblogging the Debate (Part 2)

Okay, I don't have the stamina for that. After the first half hour the debate turned into a lot of bickering and interruptions and half-delivered talking points. I thought Obama scored better than McCain did, but I'm willing to allow that my bias is speaking there.
Here's one original thought I had:

Much has been made of McCain's reluctance to look at Obama. Some have said it's a respect thing, and others have said it's a race thing (which, I suppose, is also a respect thing, but with broader implications). I'm in no position to discount either, but here's another possibility.

While McCain looks to his right, the camera gets only a flush image of the left side of his face. But if he turns to the left, then the camera can get his jaw in silhouette--and that's one ugly image.

People keep talking about the lump on his face--is it a tumor or a swollen gland? According to WikiAnswers McCain "was diagnosed with melanoma (malignant skin cancer) on his cheek 5 years ago which he says has left his cheek puffy looking." Huh? The diagnosis swelled his cheek? In any case, I'm sure he's not anxious to have it come up in post-debate conversation, because the last thing he needs is people wondering about his health with Sarah Palin on deck.

You know. Sarah Palin?

No comments: